Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday to Maddie!


I know, I can't believe it either. Maddie is one! She had a great birthday. Of course like most one year olds she had no idea what was going on. That's okay because we had a good time celebrating for her. I did not have such a good time the day before making her cake. I know I'm not ready for Ace of Cakes, but I can usually slap a cake together for the kids that looks pretty decent. I decided to make Maddie a cake in the shape of a number one with some girly accents. I was almost done and decided to write Maddie's name in pink on the top of the cake. I get to about the fourth letter and realize I have run out of room. Dang it! Okay, what would Ace of Cakes guys do? They would scrape off the name, slap on some more white icing and start all over. So that's what I did. Now the top of the cake is slightly pink and the bottom is white. No problem. I'll make a little row of flowers to trick the eye so it looks like one color. I start the name again and I'll be danged if I didn't do it AGAIN!! Now I am in pure cake panic mode. I have no more white icing. I cannot bear the thought of making more icing because there is already a fine layer of crisco and powdered sugar covering the whole kitchen. Plus nap time is almost over and I have to get this done. I start smearing the pink icing over the top hoping I can mix it up. There is now not enough white icing in the world to cover the pink. So I just left the top pink and didn't DARE try her name again. Every time I make a cake I remember why sometimes I just buy one from the bakery. Good grief! No wonder bakers are so stressed all the time.

No comments: