Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Look Who's Talking

I had an appointment with Grace's speech teacher today and to my surprise and delight she told me that Grace has made so much progress that she no longer needs speech services.  We are so proud of the progress she's made in the past year.  She went from being understood by her peers 30% of the time to being understood 80% of the time which is right on track!  On the way home I was explaining to Grace why she won't be going to see her speech teacher anymore.

Me:  "Grace, you've done such a good job (yada yada, fill in lots of praise here) that you won't need to go see Ms. Hager anymore."

Grace:  "Mom, I want to go to speech class with my friends and play with my teacher."

Me:  "I know honey, but you have done so well.  Ms. Hager will miss you and I know you'll miss her but we're not going anymore."

Grace:  "No Mom!  You are a bad mommy!!  Go to your room!!!  (short pause)  When we get home!!"

Well of course this wasn't okay but it was so cute to see Grace play out her frustration in words that I let it slide this time.  In fact it was all I could do not to laugh out loud at that little voice telling me I was a bad mommy and to go to my room.  I look up in the rear view mirror and she's got her arms crossed and a defiant look on her face.  Five minutes go by and then I hear from the backseat, "Mom, can we go to McDonald's for lunch?"  Well, how quickly we forget our anger.

No comments: