Friday, November 12, 2010

I've Got a New Attitude (Okay, Maybe Not)

So I went to get my driver's license switched over to my new address last week.  You know how when you are dreading something and it makes the actual event worse because you have a bad attitude?  Well, I know all about that and should know to avoid bad attitudes at all costs.  However, you would have found me whining to Byron the night before how I didn't want to go down to the DMV and how awful it would be etc. etc.  I should have kept my mouth shut.  I get up the next morning and announce at breakfast that the kids and I are taking a little field trip to the DMV.  Well, you would have thought I said we're going out in the tobacco fields for 8 hours of hard labor with all the whining I encountered ( I don't know where they get it!).  I had gathered all my documents before and we headed out the door.  Well, we almost headed out the door.  After coats and shoes were on, Maddie had a diaper blowout.  Okay, Maddie and I shed our coats and shoes and change her diaper and pants.  Coats and shoes back on and out the door.  Now it's raining.  I had been in Lexington for three weeks and it has only rained twice.  Of course it's raining today.  In the car to get to the DMV.  The dvd player in the van is not working.  The kids are chanting, "Put on Cinderella!"  I tell them they will survive because we're not going far.  We get there.  Grace falls on the sidewalk on her way in and starts wailing.  I get in the door and immediately get dirty looks because I'm toting a crying child.  I ignore them.  But thankfully no line!  Who hoo!  I hand over all my paperwork.  The lady behind the desk informs me she needs my original birth certificate and not a copy.  I inform her my original is a mess because it has some weird dark parts on it that makes it hard to read.  She says if she can't read it I have to drive to Frankfort to get a new one.  Oh great.  Okay, back home to get the original birth certificate.  We get back and in my hast to get out of the rain I spin around and some how shut my jacket in the van door.  Now I'm like a turtle on my back and cannot get turned around to open the door.  Kendall has to climb into the other side of the van and open my door so I can get free.  Back into the DMV where they process my information.  I go over to get my picture made and the guy tells me I need to scoot back because it looks like I have a pumpkin head!  Well that was just the cherry on my sundae.  I can't help but wonder if my day would have gone better with a good attitude.  I'm pretty sure it's hard to have a good attitude after you've attached yourself to your own vechile and been called a pumpkin head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha...Pumpkin head!! At least you didn't have to go to the Social Security Administration.......

The Hall Family said...

Just so everyone knows, that's my husband who is "anonymous" up there. He's the one calling me a pumpkin head!