Friday, January 22, 2010

Grandma knows best

Living in a small Midwestern town has advantages. One of those being that I can go to town looking pretty much anyway I want and no one bats an eye. There is no place for make-up, styled hair, or pumps at the grocery store on a Tuesday morning in my town. So while I was wrestling two toddlers into clothes and winter gear last Tuesday my main concern was that my ponytail wouldn't come loose or I wouldn't start sweating before I got us all buttoned and zipped up. I peeked in the mirror before walking out the door and something popped into my head. "My lips could use a little shine." Why was that odd? Growing up it was rare that I saw my Mamma Barker without full make-up. If she wasn't wearing full make-up then she at least had something on her lips. I swear the women probably puts on chap stick or lip gloss before she gets out of bed in the mornings. It didn't matter where we were going, she was always totting a lipstick or at least some gloss and reapplying it frequently. When I would say, "Mamma, why are you putting on lip stick? We're just __________(taking a walk, getting the mail, taking out the trash, etc.) she would say (yup, you guessed it) "My lips could use a little shine." So I hustled into the bathroom and put on a little lipstick. Guess what? I looked better! In fact it made such a difference that I've been putting it on when I'm home with just the kids. I was even sizing up the clear lip gloss at the store today. I'm right on the edge of being a lip gloss totting Mamma and someday and lip gloss totting Grandma!

No comments: